Monday, March 8, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I loved the book "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society."  I don't have time to give this book the critique it deserves.  It suffices to say that it is one of my new favorite books.  I'll share a couple of my favorite quotes.

I love this first quote because of the wonderful imagery.  "Your questions regarding that gentleman are very delicate, very subtle, very much like being smacked in the head with a mallet.  Am I in love with him?  What kind of a question is that?  It's a tuba among the flutes, and I expect better of you.  The first rule of snooping is to come at it sideways..."

I'm sure we all know someone like this... "Isola says she is a blight because she likes being a blight - it gives her a sense of destiny."

I often feel like the heroine who says, "My worries travel about my head on their well-worn path, and it is a relief to put them on paper."   

Lastly, I identified with the following quote because of my short courtship with Doug.  (Seven weeks from first date to married.)  But, I believe that family life IS a great adventure.  "Is it unseemly to get married so quickly?  I don't want to wait - I want to begin at once.  All my life I thought that the story was over when the hero and heroine were safely engaged - after all, what's good enough for Jane Austen ought to be good enough for anyone.  But it's a lie.  The story is about to begin, and every day will be a new piece of the plot.  Perhaps my next book will be about a fascinating married couple and all the things they learn about one another over time."

1 comment:

  1. I definitely could have lived inside the pages of that book a long time. Absolute favourite!

    ReplyDelete