Monday, February 1, 2010

Cookbook Confessions

Saturday, like so many days, I heard the siren song of the cookbooks at Costco.  I felt compelled to buy this beautiful compilation of casseroles.

I love cookbooks.  I love picking up a cookbook, holding it in my hands and flipping through the pages.  I love how the dishes range from the mundane to the decadent.  I love perusing the pictures and finding things that look especially mouthwatering.

The funny thing is that I rarely, I mean RARELY, actually cook from my books.

I've been contemplating this for the last couple of days.  I should really have a personal chef.  I adore designing meals.  I love to put together a perfect menu.  I've already told you that I used to throw dinner parties.  I used to be a professional meeting planner as well.  It was so much fun to pour over the possible locations and caterers.  Then, pick out the perfect menu to fit the event and the attendees.  Even now I like to imagine my table set with wonderful well-balanced meals.  I just need a chef to put it together.

I am trying to become a better wife and mother by cooking more.  I should do a "Julie and Julia" thing and blog about one new recipe a day.  It won't happen, but it would be good.  I will, however, make an effort to blog about those recipes I do try.  I hope to share many cookbook triumphs with you this year.  And, who knows, maybe I will dust off some of my other favorite cookbooks to bathe in my oven light.

4 comments:

  1. Amen. Boy do I love cookbooks too. Thing is, I even believe, sincerely, that I will cook something wonderful later today -- or tomorrow. I have in my mind high protein pancakes with cottage cheese and zucchini. I plan to make them. I really do. My mouth is watering for them even now. However, now it is too late, supper is upon us. Well.... maybe it will be done tomorrow.

    I love your blog, Jessica!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing - get so excited and have to buy a new cookbook. I can look at it for hours and think of what I'd make...then make one or none of the recipes. It is something I need to work on! Diversity in meals I prepare for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are speaking my language. We are definitely on the same page. I LOVE cookbooks. My goal this year to actually use them more. I do have my favorites from them, but I'm going to try and experiment a little more. I also love cooking and putting together meals, I just wish the kids loved experimenting as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cookbooks too. I found myself not using them much a while back and now when I plan my menu for the month, I pull out all my cookbooks. I pour over them and then immediately upon finding something that looks good put it on the calendar with a note of where to get the recipe. I have now used my cookbooks more often and found some great recipes, (and some not so great). Good luck! I think we would all love a personal chef for sure!

    ReplyDelete