Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Affirmations



I love the way the maid in "The Help" encourages the little girl to repeat affirmations of self-worth.  "You is kind.  You is smart.  You is important."


My plan was also inspired by this youtube video.  http://youtu.be/qR3rK0kZFkg


I have Rachel look herself in the mirror, punch her fist in the air and say, "I am beautiful!  I am capable!  I am intelligent!  I am resilient!  I am important!"


I use intelligent instead of smart because my doctor said that if a kid thinks she is "smart" she might think she shouldn't take risks.  You know... Play it safe.  Be smart.  Sometimes I have her say  "I am worthy!  I am loved! I am funny! I take risks!  I can do hard things!" 


So using short "I am" statements, what are some others that would infuse strength and confidence into a child's soul?  Ideas?  Anyone?  Anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment