Friday, December 25, 2009

My kinship with Mary

When I was 19 years old I was asked to play the role of Mary, the mother of Jesus, for a church activity.  I was supposed to dress as she would have dressed.  I was to speak as she would speak.  I was to tell the Christmas story to youth and children as only she would tell it.  I studied the story of Christ's birth over and over.  I read everything I could find that hinted at what his childhood was like.  It was a neat opportunity to get to know the Savior and his mother better.  I did my best at the activity.  I was so young and inexperienced.  I really could not grasp the scope of Mary's life and calling.

During this Christmas season I have come to love, honor, respect and love Mary in a way I hadn't before.  I have felt a great kinship with her.  I love reading the account of Mary and Jesus in Luke.  I love the statement in Luke 2:19 "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart." 

As I rock my baby, I sing "Silent Night" or "Mary's Lullaby."  I ponder the scope of Mary's life.  In a lowly stable she held and rocked her beautiful child.  She rocked and comforted the child that would grow to be the Savior of the world.  But, that fateful night he was only a wee babe.  He was her child.  I imagine the absolute love that enveloped her.  She must have felt the love of her Father in Heaven, all consuming love for her child, and the love of  her child. 

I hold my sweet baby and feel a similar love wash over me.  I wonder what her life will be like.  What sacrifices will she make?  What joys and sorrows will she feel?  What will be her contribution to the world?  My love grows for her as I imagine her future.  As I think of what lies before her I want to hold her even tighter.  Let the future take care of itself, for tonight she is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment